COCKTAILS AT SIX: THE STARLIGHT ROYALE

I was reminiscing today of my recent trip to Niagara Falls. I was such a lucky girl to find myself tagging along on my spouse’s business trip over a long weekend.

While his days were filled with meetings & note taking, mine were filled with site seeing, vineyards & lunching with fast-made girlfriends (sigh). Now we’re back home & all I need to take us back is an evening in front of the 1953 thriller Niagara starring Marilyn Monroe - & a champagne cocktail of course. Champagne & Marilyn certainly do seem to match my Niagara Falls mood perfectly.

The Starlight Royale

2 1/4 cups freshly squeezed lime juice, plus extra for rims
1 1/2 cups gin
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 bottle brut Champagne or sparkling wine
Fine sanding sugar for rims
Grenadine

Mix lime juice, gin, and superfine sugar in a 2-quart pitcher; chill until ready to serve (several hours). To serve, dip rims of glasses in lime juice, then sanding sugar, to coat with 1-inch wide band. Measure 4 ounces Champagne into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Add 3 1/2 ounces lime juice and gin mixture, and shake; strain into 2 glasses, and add 2 to 3 drops of grenadine to each. Repeat. Serves 12.

* images via [ & recipe via Martha Stewart, c+s tumbler, & amazon ]


of le petit happy